We will need to build a permanent shaft and headhouse at this site in order to receive the tunnel boring machines from our existing substation sites at New Cross and Hurst. The shaft and headhouse will be used for ventilation and as a permanent access route for the tunnel once it is built.
We will need planning permission to build the headhouse and we plan to submit our planning application to the Royal Borough of Greenwich in summer 2018.
- Dimensions: The shaft will be approximately 15m in diameter and will reach a depth of approximately 40m. The headhouse will have a maximum footprint of 15m by 15m and will reach a maximum height of 10m.
- Working hours: Our working hours will be from 7am to 5pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to 1pm on Saturdays. There will be no work on Sundays or Bank Holidays. Occasional out of hours work may be necessary and we will keep you informed about this.
- Traffic movements: We anticipate there will be approximately 16 HGV movements per day during shaft construction, and 4 per week during headhouse construction.
- Access: Our construction vehicles will use Rochester Way to enter and leave the site, before joining the A2.
- We plan to start works in February 2022 until August 2027.
- Shaft construction works are anticipated to take place between August 2022 and December 2022.
- If our application for the headhouse is approved, this will be built between March 2023 and January 2024.