We will need to build a permanent shaft and headhouse at this site in order to receive the tunnel boring machines from our existing substation sites at New Cross and Hurst. The shaft and headhouse will be used for ventilation and as a permanent access route for the tunnel once it is built.
It is our intention to build the tunnels and shafts under our permitted development rights, which means we do not need planning permission for the entire project.
There are points along the tunnel route where we need to build headhouses to cover the shafts. Headhouses are required for ventilation and as a permanent point of access for the tunnel once it is built. We are seeking planning permission for these where they are not on our operational land, including at our site on Kings Avenue.
We have now submitted our planning application to the London Borough of Greenwich to build a headhouse at our site at Eltham.
The submission of our planning application follows a series of public information events we held at various locations across our route earlier this year, where members of the public found out more about our works and the wider project and gave us some helpful feedback.
- Dimensions: The shaft will be approximately 15m in diameter and will reach a depth of approximately 40m. The headhouse will have a maximum footprint of 15m by 15m and will reach a maximum height of 10m.
- Working hours: Our working hours will be from 7am to 5pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to 1pm on Saturdays. There will be no work on Sundays or Bank Holidays. Occasional out of hours work may be necessary and we will keep you informed about this.
- Traffic movements: We anticipate there will be approximately 16 HGV movements per day during shaft construction, and 4 per week during headhouse construction.
- Access: Our construction vehicles will use Rochester Way to enter and leave the site, before joining the A2.
- We plan to start works in February 2022 until August 2027.
- Shaft construction works are anticipated to take place between August 2022 and December 2022.
- If our application for the headhouse is approved, this will be built between March 2023 and January 2024.