We will need to build a permanent shaft and headhouse at our proposed site in Kings Avenue, in order to drive a tunnel
boring machine to our reception site at Wimbledon. The site will also need to receive a tunnel boring machine from our site at New Cross. Excavated material would also be removed at this site.
A headhouse will need to be built over the shaft, which will be used for ventilation and permanent access once the tunnel is built. We will need planning permission for the headhouse as it is not on our operational land and we will submit our application to the London Borough of Lambeth in summer 2018.
- Dimensions: The shafts will be approximately 15m in diameter and 35m in depth. The headhouse will have a maximum footprint of 15m by 15m, reaching a maximum height of 10m.
- Working hours: 24-hour working would be required while we build the tunnel. Above ground work would take place from 7am to 5pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to 1pm on Saturdays. During the night our works will largely take place below ground. There would be no work on Sundays or Bank Holidays. Occasional out of hours work may be necessary and we will keep you informed about this.
- Traffic movements: We anticipate there would be approximately 38 HGV movements per day during peak construction activity, while we build the tunnel.
- Access: Our construction vehicles will leave the site from Acre Lane or Kings Avenue, before joining the A23 and/or A205.
- We plan to start works in April 2020 until September 2025.
- The tunnel will be built between November 2020 and December 2021.
- If our application for the headhouse is approved, this will be built between February 2022 and June 2022.