We will need to build two tunnel shafts and two headhouses at land on and adjacent to our existing substation, which is located to the north of Old Kent Road, South Bermondsey.
The shafts are needed to help build the tunnel, and the headhouses will cover the shafts and will be used as an access point once the tunnel is built. Excavated material will also be removed at this site. These works should be carried out under our permitted development rights and will be agreed with the London Borough of Southwark.
- Dimensions: The shafts will be approximately 15m in diameter and 35m in depth. The headhouse will have a maximum footprint of 15m by 15m, reaching a maximum height of 10m.
- Working hours: 24-hour working would be required while we build the tunnel. Above ground work would take place from 7am to 5pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to 1pm on Saturdays. During the night our works will largely take place below ground. There would be no work on Sundays or Bank Holidays. Occasional out of hours work may be necessary and we will keep you informed about this.
- Traffic movements: We anticipate there will be approximately 104 HGV movements per day during peak activity, while we build the tunnels.
- Access: Our construction vehicles will use an existing private road joining the A2 (Old Kent Road) to enter and leave the site.
- We plan to start works in September 2019 until September 2025.
- The two tunnels will be built between September 2020 and February 2023.
- The two headhouses will be built between October 2022 and May 2023 and March 2025 and September 2025.