Our works at our substation site in Wimbledon will involve using our existing headhouse and shaft, which forms part of London Power Tunnels phase 1, and preparing it to receive the tunnel boring machine from the shaft site at Kings Avenue, Brixton.
We originally planned to build a small chamber at our substation site in Wimbledon and this work was due to take place during summer 2018. However, as we have developed our plans, this work is no longer necessary.
Our works should be carried out under our permitted development rights and will be agreed with the London Borough of Wandsworth.
- Dimensions: The above ground construction area at our Wimbledon site will be approximately 600m2 and will be located within our operational land next to our existing substation.
- Working hours: Subject to agreement with the local authority, our working hours will be 7am to 5pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to 1pm on Saturdays. There will be no work on Sundays or Bank Holidays. Occasional out of hours work may be necessary.
- Traffic movements: Vehicle movements will be limited to light vehicles, and we don’t expect any large numbers of HGV movements.
- Access: Access will be through our Wimbledon substation site, and our construction vehicles will use the A238 and/or A24 to enter and leave the site.
- Section 1 of the tunnel, between Wimbledon to New Cross, will be constructed from July 2019 to March 2025. It will be operational by 2025.
- We plan to start works at Wimbledon substation in November 2021.
- The tunnel boring machine will arrive from Kings Avenue in December 2021.
- The site will then be occupied until September 2025 when the section of cable between Wimbledon and New Cross is commissioned.