** Update to works July 2021 – road widening and haul road works at Eltham **
We have nearly finished the vegetation clearance we started in April and will shortly begin building the haul road to allow access to site.
As part of these works, the following activity will take place:
- Work will begin to construct the temporary haul road from Welling Way.
- The existing bellmouth to Falconwood field will be widened to allow two carriageways. The new bellmouth will be largely concrete and a new sewer will also be connected to an existing manhole on Welling Way.
Throughout these works, Rochester Way will be in use as normal and all vehicles arriving for construction purposes will be staggered during working hours. During haul road construction, vehicles will be arriving on Rochester Way and marshalled off via the UKPN access road. Once the haul road is constructed, vehicles will access the site via Welling Way, which will be managed by a gate man and traffic marshal.
Please note that during these works we will be using the existing pedestrian access along Welling Way to the north of the site. We will widen the existing entrance on Welling Way to ensure pedestrians can continue to use the existing public footpath during our construction works. The temporary access road will then be used for construction. Following this, the site will be ready for shaft construction works, due to start in August 2021.
We will be building a permanent shaft and headhouse at this site in order to receive the tunnel boring machines from our existing substation sites at New Cross and Hurst. The shaft and headhouse will be used for ventilation and as a permanent access route for the tunnel once it is built.
We will be building the tunnels and shafts under our permitted development rights.
There are points along the tunnel route where we need to build headhouses to cover the shafts. Headhouses are required for ventilation and as a permanent point of access for the tunnel once it is built. We are seeking planning permission for these where they are not on our operational land, including at our site on Kings Avenue.
Our application to the Royal Borough of Greenwich Council to build a headhouse at our site in Eltham was approved in February 2019, as well as a temporary access route from Welling Way, across Falconwood Field.
The submission of our planning application followed a series of public information events we held at various locations across our route in 2018, where members of the public found out more about our works and the wider project and gave us some helpful feedback.
- Dimensions: The shaft will be approximately 15m in diameter and will reach a depth of approximately 40m. The headhouse will have a maximum footprint of 15m by 15m and will reach a maximum height of 10m.
- Working hours: Our working hours will be from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to 1pm on Saturdays. There will be no work on Sundays or Bank Holidays. Occasional out of hours work may be necessary and we will keep you informed about this.
- Traffic movements: We anticipate there will be approximately 16 HGV movements per day during shaft construction, and 4 per week during headhouse construction.
- Access: Our construction vehicles will use Rochester Way to enter and leave the site, before joining the A2.
- We plan to start works in February 2022 until August 2027.
- Shaft construction works are anticipated to take place between July 2021 and February 2022.
- The headhouse will be built between March 2023 and January 2024.