We are carrying out works at our existing substation at Hurst. We will be building a shaft at the site to help dig the tunnel and remove excavated material. We will also be building a headhouse which will cover the shaft. This will provide ventilation and access to the tunnel during construction and after.
The works are being carried out under our permitted development rights, in agreement with the London Borough of Bexley.
- 24-hour working began at Hurst from February 2021 as we started to build the tunnel.
- As part of this, any above ground works at night are limited to removing material from the shaft and lowering segments into the shaft for the tunnel. There will be no HGV movements during the night shift.
- Work are taking place during the day 7am to 5pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to 1pm on Saturdays. There is no work on Sundays or Bank Holidays. Occasional out of hours work may be necessary and we will keep you informed about this.
- Dimensions: The shaft will be 15m in diameter and approximately 35m in depth. The headhouse will have a maximum footprint of 15m by 15m and will reach a maximum height of 10m.
- Traffic movements: We anticipate there will be approximately 64 HGV movements per day while we build the tunnel to Eltham. We anticipate there will be 58 HGV movements per day at peak times while we build the tunnel to Crayford.
- Access: Our construction vehicles will access the site using our temporary access road, which will connect the A223 North Cray Road to Stable Lane. All construction traffic will flow to/from the A223 South. We will need to use Stable Lane for access while we build the temporary road.
- The tunnel from Hurst to Eltham is scheduled to be built between June 2021 and July 2022.
- The tunnel from Hurst to Crayford is scheduled to be built between July 2022 and February 2023.
- The headhouse is scheduled to be built between April 2023 and April 2024.
- Once all works are complete, we will remove the temporary access road and return the land to its original condition. This is planned to be completed by December 2026.
We remain committed to open and transparent communications with all our stakeholders on this project and will keep you updated on works at this and other sites.
This project website will be kept up to date and our community relations helpline (0800 783 2855) remains open 24/7 to answer any questions. You can also email us at [email protected]