**Ongoing crane works at Kings Avenue, 8-9 June**
Crane works, including supporting works underground, took place over the weekend of 5 – 6 June.
The same works will need to continue overnight from tomorrow (Tuesday 8 June) until Friday (11 June) morning. Our night time working hours will be 7pm until 6am across the three nights and, this will be in addition to our usual works during the day.
This has been agreed with the London Borough of Lambeth, and you shouldn’t notice any additional noise from site but please be assured we will continue to monitor our activity.
We are building a permanent shaft and headhouse at our site at Kings Avenue, in order to drive a tunnel boring machine to our reception site at Wimbledon. The site will also be receiving a tunnel boring machine from our existing substation site at New Cross. Excavated material will also be removed at this site.
Our site on Kings Avenue is located at the junction of Kings Avenue and Acre Lane.
We are building the tunnels and shafts under our permitted development rights, which means we do not need planning permission for the entire project.
There are points along the tunnel route where we will be building headhouses to cover the shafts. Headhouses are required for ventilation and as a permanent point of access for the tunnel once it is built. We have secured planning permission for the headhouse from the London Borough of Lambeth.
The granting of our planning application follows a series of public information events we held at various locations across our route during 2018, where members of the public found out more about our works and the wider project and gave us some helpful feedback. This was followed by a public information event, which we held in January 2020, ahead of the construction phase starting in March 2020.
- Above ground work will take place from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to 1pm on Saturdays. During the night our works will largely take place below ground. There will be no work on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
- Occasional out of hours work may be necessary and we will keep you informed about this.
- Dimensions: The shaft will be approximately 15m in diameter and 35m in depth. The headhouse will have a maximum footprint of 9.5m long by 6m wide, reaching a maximum height of 4.6m.
- Traffic movements: We anticipate there would be approximately 38 HGV movements per day during peak construction activity, while we build the tunnel.
- Access: Our construction vehicles will leave the site from Acre Lane or Kings Avenue, before joining the A23 and/or A205
- Works started in April 2020 and are due to finish in June 2025.
- The tunnel is scheduled to be built between May 2021 and April 2023.
- The headhouse is scheduled to be built between April 2024 and March 2025.
This section of the website will be kept up to date and our community relations helpline (0800 783 2855) remains open 24/7 to answer any questions. You can also email us at [email protected]